Blackline Marine, 22 - 2300 Canoe Cove Rd, Sidney BC
05 May 2018 1000h - 1700h
Members $30 / Non-Members $50
This course is intended for people who own and maintain their own sailboat, or those who want to gain a better understanding of standing and running rigging, including proper inspection and maintenance. Brent Jacobi of Blackline Marine will explain the basic principals of rigging inspection & maintenance, and offshore cruising preparation:
Going Aloft Safely
- 2nd safety line
- Bosun’s chair
- Tool pouch
- Messenger line
- Have you dropped and inspected your mast lately? Ever?
- Where to get it checked – professional riggers – tuning?
- How to check?
- How often to check?
- rings vs cotter pins, clevis pins, toggles, connections
- swage fittings, blue dye vs microscope for cracks
- rigging tape or alternates
- Duralac anti-corrosive jointing compound
- spreaders and chafe guards/caps, shrouds, tangs
- mast cap and attachments
- keel-stepped vs deck-stepped mast
- halyard sheaves and axle pins
- chainplates, stanchions, lifelines
- windex, anchor light, antennas
- radar mount, steaming light, and other accessories
- Types, strength
- Maintenance (washing/rinsing)
- When to replace ?
- Typical messenger lines and securing methods
- Wear points, lines crossed
- Jib car inspection and maintenance
- Systems for cockpit adjustable jib cars
- Winter/off-season maintenance.