The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) now requires operators of certain aircraft and watercraft, as well as commercial transporters of specified vessel types, to purchase permits to help the department’s efforts in preventing the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS). Those required to buy the new AIS prevention permit include:
- Out-of-state recreational registered boaters
- Seaplane operators
- Commercial transporters of watercraft
The permit is valid for one year from its activation date and is available for purchase online.
Funds generated from the $24 fee support the department’s efforts to keep Washington’s waters free of aquatic invasive species and manage infestations when prevention fails. Permit sales are expected to generate approximately $412,000USD annually in revenue by 2021.
Step-by-Step Process for Purchasing Online AIS Permit ($24USD)
- Go to wdfw.wa.gov and at the top of the page, hover on the “Licensing & Permits” tab
- The first item under that tab is “Online Licensing Sales”– Click this tab
- Click on the box in the middle of the page “Shop for products that don’t require a customer account”
- On the “Product Categories” page, click on the one labeled “Other”
- “Add” the AIS Permit for your applicable category (Commercial Transporter, Non-Resident Registered Vessel, Seaplane)
- Check out