Congratulations to BCA’s new Board of Directors! Responsible for “steering the BCA ship” in 2020 are:
- Commodore – David Mitchell
- Vice Commodore – Vacant
- Treasurer – Don Brown
- Secretary – Katrina Barnes
- Calgary Chapter Vice Commodore – John Kortbeek
- Vancouver Chapter Vice Commodore – Stephen Carlman
- Vancouver Island Chapter Vice Commodore – Debbie Warren
- Past Commodore, Leslie Hansen, ex-officio member of the Board with voice but no vote.
And thanks to the outgoing members of the Board:
- Secretary – Astrid Weiss
- Calgary Chapter Vice Commodore – Cathy Norrie
- Past Commodore – Jennifer Handley
The Board of Directors are volunteers who are elected by the members at the Annual General Meeting to manage the Association and promote its financial health and growth. Directors are elected for a one year term and may stand for re-election.
The Board of Directors represents the interests of all members of BCA and ensures that decisions are in accordance with the purpose of the Association and reflect BCA’s mission, vision and values. The Board of Directors provide guidance, direction and financial authority to those Watchkeepers and/or staff involved in the running of the association and ensure that services and activities provided to members support the purpose of the association. The Board meets as required, usually nine times, but no less than five times a year. Meetings are held by online conference call; an annual face-to-face strategic planning session usually occurs in March.
Authority, Accountability and Reporting
The Board of Directors:
- Is responsible for the overall management of the Association.
- Ensures that the Association complies with the Society Act and with the BCA Constitution and Bylaws.
- Is responsible for governance issues and compliance with the BCA Governance Manual.
- Approves the annual budget.
- Reviews quarterly financial status.
- Approves all new, non-budgeted expenditure contracts over $1000 entered into by the Association or any chapter; and is consulted and must approve all expenditures outside budget limits.
- Approves and reviews all policies of the Association.
- On an ongoing basis, reviews the development of BCA policies and procedures to advance good governance and ensure that these are incorporated into the BCA Governance Manual.
- Has the authority to employ or contract individuals to fulfill some of the tasks of the organization.
- Manages all Requests for Proposals for outside contracts.
- May appoint directors to fill vacant positions.
The Board of Directors appreciates the tremendous support shown by BCA members. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Who’s who in the composite feature photo above? BCA’s 2020 Board members. Upper left: Debbie Warren; Lower left: John Kortbeek; Right photo from left: Stephen Carlman, Don Brown, David Mitchell, Leslie Hansen, Katrina Barnes.