Since 1978, the Bluewater Cruising Association has recognized its members’ achievements at annual awards ceremonies that take place in December in each Chapter. These celebratory occasions inspire the “dreamers” among us, encourage the “do-ers”, and remind the “doners” of their own bluewater experiences.
A summary of BCA’s many sailing and perpetual awards, the nomination process and application criteria is below (and in the 2022 Member Directory, pp 15-17); further information, including lists of previous award recipients, can be found on the BCA website .
If you are eligible for an award this year, or know someone who is, please speak up! The greatest compliment you can pay to a fellow BCA member is to put them forward as a nominee.
Nomination / Application Process
Think about your own sailing / crewing / volunteering experience this past year and what your BCA friends have been up to:
- Have you just returned from offshore or completed an offshore passage? Did you participate in an offshore race to Hawaii, for example, or the boat’s return to the Pacific Northwest? Are you or any of your crew members eligible for a cruising award (see list below)?
- Are you retiring from a Chapter Watch or the Board of Directors after a minimum of three consecutive years of service?
- Do you know someone who is eligible for a cruising or service award or deserves special recognition with a perpetual award?
If your answer is “yes” to any or all of these questions, please email Past Commodore, Leslie Hansen  to apply for and/or nominate another member for an award. All applications must be received prior to October 26, 2022.
The Cruising Awards honour the sailing achievements of Bluewater Cruising Association skippers and their crews and/or their safe return to home port:
- Coastal 999 Award – for members who complete a minimum 999 nm coastal (harbour-hopping) voyage as measured in a straight line outside Canadian territorial waters
- Offshore Crew Award – for members who complete a minimum 999 nm non-stop offshore passage, as measured in a straight line outside Canadian territorial waters as crew on a non-commercial vessel
- Offshore Skipper’s Award – for members who skipper a non-commercial vessel belonging to someone else for a minimum 999 nm non-stop offshore passage, as measured in a straight line outside Canadian territorial waters
- Owner’s Offshore Award – for members who complete a minimum 999 nm non-stop offshore passage, as measured in a straight line outside Canadian territorial waters on their own boat
- Cape Horn Award – for members who have rounded Cape Horn on their own boat
- Circumnavigation Award – for members who successfully circumnavigated on their own boat
The Service Awards recognize individuals who have served as Watchkeepers at the Chapter or Board of Directors level, for an extended period of time, and those who are particularly deserving of recognition due to their unflagging volunteer contributions, often carried out quietly behind the scenes.
- Service Award – for “retiring” Watchkeepers who have served more than three years on the Watch and/or Board of Directors
- Rudi Seifert Keeper of the Light Award – for significant contributions to BCA that reflect and support the spirit, vision and/or values of the Association
The Perpetual Awards acknowledge unique sailing, organizational and sometimes humorous achievements and / or actions that are worthy of recognition; they are awarded from time to time:
- Antares Pacific High Finders’ Award – awarded annually to the member who logs the longest time to complete the Hawaii-Victoria passage in either direction
- Ben Rusi Seamanship Award – awarded to an individual or couple for acts of seamanship, demonstrating levels of courage, determination, citizenship and discipline
- Doug Mitchell Memorial Single Hander’s Award – awarded to an individual who has made a significant single-handed voyage
- Hill-Padwick Bent Mast Award – awarded for the “boo boo of the year” as determined by popular vote during Awards night
- Peter Doherty Goodwill Ambassador Award – awarded to an individual or couple who exemplify, while cruising, an outstanding commitment to furthering the cruising lifestyle of camaraderie and providing assistance
- Ted Long Award – awarded to an individual for outstanding personal contributions to BCA
Note: The Peterson Cup Cruising Rally was not held in 2022 and thus the Peterson Cup will not be awarded this year.
Questions / Concerns?
If you have any questions about BCA’s awards and/or the nomination process, please do not hesitate to contact Leslie . Please remember that:
- Applicants for Cruising awards will be required to provide detail about the qualifying voyage(s), including dates.
- Nominations for Service or Perpetual awards will be required to include details about nature of service to BCA, including dates, and/or address specific award criteria.
- Applicants for all awards must be BCA members in good standing at the time the award was earned and at the time of nomination.
- All nominations must be received by October 26, 2022.