This month, BCA highlights two dynamic opportunities for members with the right skills, experience, and interest! If one of these positions has your name written all over it, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator .
Vice Commodore for Vancouver Island – Victoria
Purpose of the position
To ensure the smooth functioning of Chapter club nights, Watch meetings, and programs and activities; and to serve as a two-way conduit of communication between the Board of Directors and the membership at the Chapter level.
- Serves on the Board of Directors.
- Emcees club nights.
- Chairs Watch meetings.
- Sets agenda for Chapter club night meetings in collaboration with the Speaker Watchkeeper.
- Provides opening remarks at club nights. (Note: The running of the club night meetings can be delegated, e.g., to the Speakers Watchkeeper or Fleet Watchkeeper.)
- Introduces new members at their first club night (name, boat name and type, whether regular or bluewater, invite to share cruising plans).
- Introduces guests attending club night.
- Sets the agenda for monthly Watch meetings, or delegates this responsibility to the Chapter Secretary.
- Supports the Chapter Treasurer with financial tasks and decisions.
- Supports (and advises as necessary) members of the Watch in carrying out the responsibilities of their positions.
- Enlists volunteers as needed for Chapter positions and events.
- Attends monthly Board meetings (September – June) and reports on Chapter activities and business.
- Assists the Commodore and BCA Vice Commodore to organize the Annual General Meeting if held in their Chapter area.
Knowledge/skills required for the position
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience chairing – or participating – in organizational meetings an asset.
- Level of comfort re speaking to an audience.
- Coastal or offshore cruising experience – or basic knowledge of sailing – an asset.
- Desire and enthusiasm for the position.
Advertising Watchkeeper (Paid by Commission)
Purpose of the Position
To generate revenue for BCA Central by selling and managing advertising in the annual printed BCA Membership Directory and in Currents online magazine.
This position reports to the BCA BOD Treasurer and provides activity updates to the BOD monthly meetings.
- Maintain and update rate information and technical spec information for BCA Membership Directory and BCA Currents online magazine. Rates to be set by the BCA BOD. Technical specs to be set by the Directory publisher and the Currents website developer. Information to be compiled into concise PDF docs for distribution to potential advertisers.
- Sell advertising space in BCA Directory and BCA Currents by contacting local and national marine industry companies. Provide information on BCA as well as rate and technical spec info.
- Collect advertising artwork from new advertisers. Keep artwork organized in computer files. Confirm artwork meets technical requirements.
- For Directory, forward the artwork to publisher along with instructions regarding placement, such as inside back cover, before February 28 deadline.
- For Currents, post the ad to the Ad Rotate program within Currents WordPress. Activate the ad to display in the appropriate position – primary or secondary. Test view the ad and then take it live. Then test view again using computer, tablet and smart phone screens to see all artwork properly displayed.
- In cases where the ad is for a limited time, such as 3 months, deactivate the ad when the display time expires. This can be done manually or can be pre-programmed within Ad Rotate.
- Email instructions to BCA Administrator to invoice advertisers. Directory advertisers are normally summarized on one spreadsheet. Currents advertisers are summarized on another spreadsheet and sent to the Administrator at the start of each calendar quarter.
- Manage the advertising account receivables. Check the status of open advertising invoices within BCA YM back end. Contact those advertisers with delinquent accounts.
- Provide advertising tear sheets (scans) for Directory advertisers upon request.
- Provide Currents advertising response data reports (click through ratio) to advertisers upon request.
- Track advertising sales and invoice BCA for commissions earned. This is done on a quarterly basis once all receivables for the quarter have been collected. Provide supporting documentation listing all advertising sales for the quarter that is being invoiced.
Specific Time-Sensitive Tasks
- The BCA Membership Directory is published annually each spring. Advertising sales must therefore be made in December, January and early February. Ad bookings must be received by February 15 and ad artwork must be received by February 28. Invoicing is done at in early April around the time the Directory is actually printed and distributed.
- The Vancouver Boat Show typically runs every January. This is an excellent opportunity to contact existing advertisers and contact new advertisers. The Advertising Watchkeeper should schedule at least one full day to work the Boat Show.
- Invoicing of Currents advertising is done at the start of each calendar quarter for the coming 3 months. This must be summarized on a spreadsheet and then sent to the BCA administrator.
- Receivables collection work is ongoing throughout the year.
Knowledge / Skills Required for the Position
- Good selling skills – effectively present the offering and benefits and close the sale.
- Good communication skills, including timely follow up of email communication.
- Good administrative and organizational skills.
- Good computer skills, including use of MS Word, MS Excel and either experience or aptitude to learn web-based programs that will be used on the job, including YM and Ad Rotate.
- BCA member with some knowledge of west coast marine industry, perhaps from own boat work.
- Previous marketing and/or sales experience would be an asset.
- Previous advertising artwork or graphic design experience would be an asset.
- Previous experience with web-based publishing programs such as WordPress would be an asset.
Amount of Time Required Per Month
- Time spent varies. The busiest months are January and February, selling ads for the annual directory and following up re the artwork and organizing the billing. Estimated time: 15 to 20 hours each of these two months.
- March – May and September – December require approximately 5 to 10 hours each month.
- Summer months are slower, approximately 5 hours/month.
This position pays a commission rate of 30% of advertising sales invoiced. Commissions are paid only when the invoiced amounts have been collected. The Advertising Watchkeeper is responsible for managing collections.