Blackline Marine, 22 - 2300 Canoe Cove Rd, Sidney BC
18 Nov 2023 1000h - 1500h - This course is sold out
Members $30 / Non-Members $50
VI Education, email@example.com
Ever look up and wonder at all that gear? This course is intended for those who want to gain a better understanding of standing and running rigging, including proper inspection and maintenance. Brent Jacobi and Serge Dupuis of Blackline Marine will explain the basic principals of rigging inspection & maintenance and offshore cruising preparation.
Going Aloft Safely
- 2nd safety line
- Bosun’s chair
- Tool pouch
- Messenger line
- Have you dropped and inspected your mast lately? Ever?
- Where to get it checked – professional riggers – tuning?
- How to check?
- How often to check?
- rings vs cotter pins, clevis pins, toggles, connections
- swage fittings, blue dye vs microscope for cracks
- rigging tape or alternates
- Duralac anti-corrosive jointing compound
- spreaders and chafe guards/caps, shrouds, tangs
- mast cap and attachments
- keel-stepped vs deck-stepped mast
- halyard sheaves and axle pins
- chainplates, stanchions, lifelines
- windex, anchor light, antennas
- radar mount, steaming light, and other accessories
- Types, strength
- Maintenance (washing/rinsing)
- When to replace
- Typical messenger lines and securing methods
- Wear points, lines crossed
- Jib car inspection and maintenance
- Systems for cockpit adjustable jib cars
- Winter/off-season maintenance
Brent Jacobi and Serge Dupuis have a lifetime of sailing and over 25 years of industry experience. They are highly experienced and knowledgeable rigging specialists. Brent currently manages both the Rigging and the Metal Fabrication divisions of Blackline Marine.
Please Note - this course is sold out