05 Feb 2022 to 06 Feb 2022 0930h - 1200h - This course is sold out
Members $65 / Non-Members $85
Spend two mornings online with instructor-extraordinaire, Kevin Monahan, learning just how much you don’t know about tides and currents! Just when you thought you might have it all figured out, along comes Kevin to show you what it’s really all about. As it turns out, there’s a lot more to it than just reading a tide table.
- The most reliable sources of information, and why they’re the best
- What forces raise the tides
- Predict tides and currents even when none are given
- How and why tidal currents form and how they affect the boater
- How wind, waves, and currents interact
- Local tide and current effects: Juan de Fuca, Georgia Strait, Johnstone Strait, Queen Charlotte Strait, Central and North Coasts
Each two hour presentation will be followed by ½ hour of questions. There is no need to subscribe to Zoom, just register for Tides and Currents and we’ll send a link to you a couple of days before the course.
About the Instructor
Kevin Monahan is a retired Canadian Coast Guard officer with more than 20 years navigating the British Columbia coast as a patrol vessel captain. He has also worked on fishing boats, ferries, and coastal transports. Retiring from public service in 2012, Kevin now splits his time between publishing (Ports and Passes, The Radar Book, etc.) and teaching nautical subjects to commercial and recreational mariners. In 2013 he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Medal.
Image credit: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Please Note - this course is sold out